Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rice Cookie Idea? Anyone???

Being the wonderful housewife that I am, I often have leftover rice in the rice-cooker after dinner. As many of us here in Japan do, I'm sure, I wrap up the bits and put them in the freezer to save for pilaf, lunches, etc.

As yummy as those dishes turn out - especially when it is Ryu making them - I truly think that this leftover rice could be used as an ingredient in cookies. Maybe in place of coconut? oatmeal? OK, those are my only two ideas. I think it would result in a chewy "mochi" cookie.

What do you think? Do you have a cookie recipe using rice? If so, DO SHARE! The only one I've found calls for blanched almonds, flaked coconut, egg whites...well, those things are not part of my larder or my idea of Kantan Cooking!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did that YEARS ago! I usually added walnuts to most cookies, and had none, but there was some left over rice in the refrigerator. The cookies were eaten immediately, as usual. They were crunchy like with nuts. All was fine until I mentioned the unusual ingredient. All were aghast that I would do that to them. Actually, they were quite good.